Advancing The Art Of Osseous Surgery
Since creating the first piezoelectric surgical system in 1997, Piezosurgery Incorporated and Mectron Medical Technology have remained dedicated to refining and improving the technology – ensuring that our proprietary systems continue to lead the industry in performance.
PIEZOSURGERY® is a comprehensive approach to improving patient outcomes while reducing risk and optimizing the efficiency of your practice. Piezosurgery “Incorporated offers the most advanced technology, with a complete range of products tailored to your specific needs, and supported by industry-leading training and service
A Brief History Of PIEZOSURGERY®
1997 Limitations of Existing Cutting Technology
- Burs and saws are characterized by macrovibrations, which make their cutting action imprecise and limit surgical control
- Conventional instruments do not differentiate between hard and soft tissues, thus increasing the risk of damaging important anatomical structures such as nerves and membranes
- Traditional ultrasonic piezoelectric scalers have a single ultrasonic wave
- Single wave technology was not powerful enough to cut bone thicker than 1 mm, and led to excessive overheating and osteonecrosis
1997 First PIEZOSURGERY® Development
- Overcame limitations of traditional ultrasonic scalers by superimposing a low frequency vibration over a primary ultrasonic frequency (dual wave technology)
1999 Dr. Vercellotti Names New Technology PIEZOSURGERY®
- A portmanteau of ‘piezoelectric’ and ‘surgery’, Dr. Vercellotti names Mectron’s patented technology PIEZOSURGERY®
- The proprietary brand name is registered worldwide
2001 First Clinical and Histological Publications
- Dr. Vercellotti published the first clinical and histological studies on the use of PIEZOSURGERY®, proving superiority over conventional instruments and improved osseous healing results
2009 PIEZOSURGERY® Medical
- Mectron’s PIEZOSURGERY® technology was introduced in a wide variety of medical applications ranging from pediatric neurosurgery to rhinoplasty.
2011 Awarded Over 30 U.S. and International Patents
- Mectron’s PIEZOSURGERY® has been awarded numerous US and international patents on both devices and inserts in recognition of the truly innovative nature of this paradigm-changing technology.
2016 Most Comprehensive Review of Piezoelectric Surgery
- Quintessence Publishing releases the most comprehensive review of piezoelectric bone surgery, authored by Dr. Tomaso Vercellotti
Tomaso Vercellotti graduated in Medicine and Surgery cum laude in 1979 and specialized in Odontostomatology cum laude at University of Studies of Genoa (Italy) in 1984. He is the Inventor of Piezoelectric Bone Surgery, and developer of the several piezoelectric surgical protocols, which he published in numerous prestigious publications. Dr. Vercellotti is the founder and International Chairman of International Piezosurgery Academy (IPA), Honorary Professor and Faculty at University College of London – Eastman Dental Institute UK, and honorary Member of the Schluger-Ammons Study Club (USA).
He is an active member of numerous professional associations and the 2005 recipient of the Andi Award from the Italian Dental Association for scientific and cultural merit. Dr. Vercellotti authored the book “Essentials in Piezosurgery Clinical Advantages in Piezosurgery” and the forthcoming book entitled “The Piezoelectric Bone Surgery: A New Paradigm” published by Quintessence Publishing. He has also authored some of the most important scientific and clinical studies on Piezoelectric Bone Surgery and 10 chapters in international books. He has dedicated over 30 years to the rehabilitation of complex cases at Vercellotti Dental Clinic and Educational Activity at Miachì Educational Training Centre in Genova (Italy).
DID YOU KNOW?
We have dozens of U.S. and international patents, including U.S. Patents 6,695,847, 8,002,783, 8,109,931, 8,808,295, D509, 588, D509, 899, D539,908, and D539,909.
The cornerstone of the PIEZOSURGERY® system – using precisely controlled, three-dimensional ultrasonic vibrations to cut bone without damaging surrounding tissues – is redefining the state of the art in several surgical fields.
MECTRON – OUR MANUFACTURING PARTNER
Mectron was founded in 1979 by two Italian engineers, Fernando Bianchetti and Domenico Vercellotti, with the primary goal of developing and producing top-quality devices for dental and medical professionals. With progressively greater diffusion of its products in the global market, Mectron has earned the reputation of a company dedicated to continuous development and innovation, and superior product design.
Over the years, Mectron’s R&D has led to the development some of the most important innovations in the dental field: the first ultrasonic titanium handpieces, the first LED curing lamps for composite materials and, in 2001, PIEZOSURGERY®, the first ultrasonic surgical unit for piezoelectric bone surgery.
Today, Mectron manufactures a vast and growing range of products, from PIEZOSURGERY® dental and medical devices to high-end piezoelectric scalers, air polishers, and curing lights.
Mectron is headquartered in Carasco, Italy and currently employs over 100 individuals in Manufacturing, Research & Development, Sales & Marketing, Logistics and Administration. In addition to Piezosurgery Incorporated, Mectron has subsidiaries in Germany and India, and distributors in over 80 countries.
MORE THAN A DEVICE
For more than a decade, the PIEZOSURGERY® name has been recognized the world over as the leader in ultrasonic technology for osseous surgery.
Since creating the first piezoelectric surgical system in 1997, Piezosurgery® Incorporated and Mectron Medical Technology have remained dedicated to refining and improving the technology – ensuring that our proprietary systems continue to lead the industry in performance.
PIEZOSURGERY® is a comprehensive approach to improving patient outcomes while reducing risk and optimizing the efficiency of your practice. PIEZOSURGERY® Incorporated offers the most advanced technology, with a complete range of products tailored to your specific needs, and supported by industry-leading training and service.